Claflin-Richards House , Wenham, Mass

Date

1954, predominant 1954

Location Note

Album 288

GUSN

GUSN-322985

You can find this within

Browse Collection

Description

A collection of architectural photographs of the Claflin-Richards House in Wenham, Massachusetts, taken by Peter Zaharis of Ipswich. Photographs were taken on various dates in February 1954. 51 black-and-white photographs ( 8 1/2 x 10") in mylar sleeves and bound in a leather album. Coillection illustrates the structure of the Claflin-Richards house showing interior walls, ceiling, and floors exposed to the beams. Interior views include fireplaces, wallpaper, doors, windows; all exposed to the structural beams, lifted floor boards, and brick structure of the fireplace A few exterior shots show clapboards and the exposed foundation of the house. Quality is exceptional. A few photographs show entire beams removed from the house.
Included with the album are reference materials with further historical background: "A history of the Claflin-Richards house Residents from 1660-1922", Jack E. Hauck, Treasures of Wenham History: CR House Residents, and a reference to an oral history in which Eleanor Thompson of the Wenham Museum guides a tour of the house.

Details

Descriptive Terms

beams (structural elements)
floors (surface elements)
walls
fireplaces and fireplace components
historic houses
historic house museums (buildings)
dwellings
photograph albums
black-and-white prints (photographs)

Additional Identification Number

album name 288

Physical Description

one photographic album;

Collection Code

PC009

Collection Name

Photograph albums collection

Date of Acquisition

2016

Reference Code

PC009.288

Acquisition Type

Gift

Places

Wenham (Essex county, Massachusetts)

Record Details

Material Type

photograph albums
black-and-white prints (photographs)

Subjects

Historic House

Descriptive Terms

Walls
ceiling
beams
beams
Claflin-Richards House
Wenham, Massachusetts

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Album 288

Related Items

Claflin-Richards House photographs

Historical/Biographical Note

Historical/Biographical Note

The Claflin-Richards House was built in 1661. It has ogee braces which are an architetcural feature of English dwellings from the 16th-17th centuries. The house has been home to many families, among them Rev Joseph Garrish whom used the house as a parsonage and was active during the Salem Witch trials, and the home of Capt. Thomas Fiske, Jr. (1693-1757), whom was a leading military man and legislator. In 1700 Fiske used the house as a school. In 1953 the Wenham Historical Association and Museum acquired the property and today the house is available for tours through the Wenham Museum.