Collections on Display
Gothic Revival Settee
Henry C. Bowen commissioned Thomas Brooks of Brooklyn, New York, to build a set of furniture to complement and decorate his country cottage in Woodstock, Connecticut. The settee, pictured here, is part of a set of Gothic-styled furniture that included a second settee, two window seats, a footstool, a center table, a number of side chairs, a hall stand, and two bedroom suites. The nearly complete set of furniture is currently on display at Roseland Cottage.
Roseland Cottage Watercolor in Gothic Revival Frame
This watercolor of Roseland Cottage dates to c. 1846 and is attributed to house’s architect, New York-based Joseph C. Wells (1814-1860). The soft pink color of Roseland Cottage is one of the most striking aspects of the watercolor, especially considering today’s vibrant color scheme. However, extensive paint analysis has proved the actual original paint color of Roseland Cottage was a much bolder shade of pink than depicted in Wells’ watercolor.
Gothic Revival Crib
This Gothic Revival crib (1845-1855) was used by generations of the Bowen family. The crib descended through the Bowens’ eldest son Henry Eliot Bowen and was used by five generations of the family. Because of its style and family associations, the crib is an important addition to the collections at Roseland Cottage.
“Lena Rivers” Doll
This doll, made of porcelain and cotton, was hand made in France in 1862. It belonged to Grace Aspinwall Bowen (b. 1850), Henry and Lucy Bowen’s second oldest daughter. Grace named the doll “Lena Rivers” after the main character in one of her favorite books, Lena Rivers by Mary J. Holmes. The Bowen children’s governess, Edna Dean Proctor, carefully crafted clothes for “Lena Rivers” from the remnants of Grace’s dresses.
Lucy Tappan Bowen’s Wedding Dress
This simple yet elegant silk dress and decorative collar shawl dates to c. 1844. The dressmaker is unknown. The dress was worn by Lucy Maria Tappan on the occasion of her marriage to Henry Chandler Bowen on June 6, 1844. Since then it was worn, and altered slightly, by successive generations of Bowen women for their weddings.