Cooper-Frost-Austin House is clearly documented as the oldest dwelling still standing in the city of Cambridge. The house was owned by one family for more than 250 years.
Built by Samuel Cooper in 1681, the house is one of the earliest examples of an integral lean-to "half house" consisting of a "low room," "little room," "kitchin," "Chamber," "kitchin Chamber," "Garret," and "Cellar." Other original features include a pilaster chimney and a façade gable.
Shortly after Samuel Cooper's death in 1718, his son Walter extended the house to the west, thus completing the main block of the house and presenting the current symmetrical façade. Succeeding generations undertook various alterations to both the interior and exterior. Despite the changes made, the early frame and much original material survives intact.
Visit Cooper-Frost-Austin House2015 Schedule
Tours at noon, 1:30 p.m., and 3:00 p.m.
Registration is required for all tours. Please call 617-994-6669.
Free for Historic New England members and Cambridge residents. Become a member.
21 Linnaean Street
Cambridge, Mass. 02138
Directions: Linnaean Street is located off of Massachusetts Ave., and is accessible via MBTA public transportation.
Parking: On-street parking is located along Linnaean Street for Cambridge non-residents.
Contact Cooper-Frost-Austin House
E-mail Cooper-Frost-Austin House