A New Commodity: Wider Distribution
While postcards flew around the country featuring quaint New England clam-diggers and shuckers, local shellfishermen worked hard to match the growing scale of this newly commercialized industry. Boxcars bursting with clams traveled by rail from the North Shore to Boston and beyond.
Paddy's Clam House in New York City opened in 1933.
By 1956 the restaurant purportedly served 1,000 customers each day.
The Joppa shacks pictured here were owned by the clamming families of Newburyport and utilized from the late nineteenth century through the first four decades of the twentieth. Here, thousands of barrels of clams were shucked in preparation for the dinner table, or loaded up on wagons to be sold in town.