- School & Youth
- Get Involved
Built circa 1653 by John Scotchford, the house was sold in 1696 to Deacon Edward Wheeler and has remained in the Wheeler family ever since. Local tradition has it that during the Revolutionary War supplies for the Continental Army were stored in the house. In the eighteenth century the house was updated and expanded and today resembles a Georgian exterior. The interiors retain original floors, plaster, woodwork, and other features. The house sits on a 0.69-acre plot which preserves its semi-rural, farming context in the center of Concord.
The exterior elevations of the house are to be preserved, with timeworn materials replaced in-kind. In addition, the interior features of the main house and west addition, such as floors, fireplaces, space configurations, hardware, and plaster are to be maintained. The kitchen and bathrooms are flexible spaces and may be updated to meet the needs of modern living. Historic New England will work closely with future owners to ensure that alterations are done in a sensitive and reversible manner.
The house is part of Historic New England’s Preservation Easement Program, a national model for saving privately owned historic buildings.
The Scotchford-Wheeler House is listed for sale with Bob Champey at William Raveis Real Estate.