Careers in Public History
Online Workshop for Students
Monday, October 12, 2020
10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. via Zoom
Interested in a career in public history? Looking to expand your network of professional connections? This one-day program for students will help you prepare for your career and give you expert advice for how to be successful on the job market.
Gather insights, testimonial experiences, and advice from a panel of working, seasoned professionals from an assortment of areas of expertise, including collections management, archives, and more. Break out into workshops aimed at developing cover letter and resume writing skills, and listen to informative talks on the job market and non-traditional career paths. Finally, join in on our Q&A with public history museum professionals to ask any remaining questions.
Tickets: $15, free for Historic New England members.
Student memberships are just $25, and include the benefits of free admission to all of our historic properties, Historic New England magazine, free or discounted admission to events, and more. Become a member.
Register today for the workshop.
The link for the workshop will be sent in a separate email prior to the event.
10:00 – 10:15 a.m.: Welcome and Introductions
10:15 – 11:30 a.m.: Meet the Professionals
- Meet current working professionals from a variety of areas in the public history field including archives, collections, management, education, and more. They will share their experiences, give advice on those career paths, and answer questions.
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Understanding the Job Market
- What does it take to be competitive in the public history job market? Where do you go to look for jobs? This talk will answer theses questions, provide an honest look at the realities of the job market, and give tips on how to navigate your job hunt when you are ready.
12:30 – 1:30 p.m.: Lunch Break
1:30 – 2:15 p.m.: Building Your Resume and Interviewing
- This talk will include a panel of hiring managers who will share advice and tips on how to build a competitive resume while in school and how to do your best when interviewing for a public history position.
2:15 – 3:15 p.m.: Resume Writing
- What is the purpose of a resume? What information should be included and how do you best present it? This talk will cover the fundamentals of successful resume writing and share some practical tips to make yours stand out.
3:15 – 4:00 p.m.: Cover Letter Writing
- Cover letter writing can be one of the most difficult and ambiguous parts of job hunting. This session will cover the purpose and function of cover letters from a hiring perspective and share best practices and success tips to help you write a stand-out cover letter.
4:00 – 4:30 p.m.: Final Q&A