- School & Youth
- Get Involved
The house, with a low hipped roof and a pair of brick chimneys rising on the rear wall, was built, probably as a wedding present for Alma Bullard and Jonas Curtis, by Alma’s father, a Holliston shoemaker. Across the rear wall is a long, screened porch, added c. 1934. Set back on the east wall is a two-story, gable-roofed ell, probably constructed c. 1860. Also on the property and protected by the preservation restriction is a gable-front New England barn. Other outbuildings on the property (not protected) include a dog kennel, ice house, and four-stall stable, all built in the mid-twentieth century.
The exterior elevations of the house and barn are largely restricted from change, with deteriorated materials to be replaced in kind. In addition, the interior of the main block of the house is protected from alteration without prior approval; interior structural members in the barn and east ell are similarly protected. The goal of the restriction is to preserve historically important features while allowing the premises to be updated to meet the needs of modern living and enjoyed by its owners. Historic New England will work closely with all future owners to ensure that alterations are done in a sensitive and reversible manner.
The house is part of Historic New England’s Preservation Easement Program, a national model for saving privately owned historic homes.
Jonas Curtis House is listed for sale with Jeanne Murphy, Realty Executives Boston West, 508-259-5834, 21 Central Street, Holliston, MA 01746.