fbpx

C. G. Sargent's Sons collection

Collection Type

  • Manuscripts

Date

1848-1984, predominant 1854-1911

GUSN

GUSN-327472

Browse Collection

Description

This collection consists of approved patents for C.G. Sargent's sons, patent files by the company's competitors, correspondence and papers related to patents and copyright, as well as architectural and technical drawings and photos, corporate documents, and ephemera including engravings, company and competitor catalogues and advertisements.

Details

Descriptive Terms

company towns
corporations
industrial landscapes
industrial buildings
patents
ephemera
architectural drawings (visual works)
photographs
technical drawings
manuscripts (document genre)
trade catalogs
engravings (prints)
steel engravings (visual works)
stock certificates
cashbooks

Physical Description

5.57 linear feet (4 legal sized document cases, 1 letter sized document case, 2 deep lid boxes, 3 oversize folders)

Finding Aid Info

An electronic finding aid is available through Historic New England's Collections Access Portal. A paper finding aid is available in the Library & Archives.

Custodial History

Purchase, 2014

Collection Code

CC016

Collection Name

C. G. Sargent's Sons collection

Date of Acquisition

2014

Reference Code

CC016

Abstract

The C.G. Sargent's Sons Corporation of Graniteville, MA was a successful textile machinery manufacturing corporation first founded in 1854 by Charles Grandison Sargent and later run by his sons. This collection consists of correspondence, patents, technical drawings, corporate documents and ephemera produced by or relating to the corporation and its competitors.

Acquisition Type

Library & Archives Purchase

Credit Line

Purchase. 2014

Places

Westford (Middlesex county, Massachusetts)
Lowell (Middlesex county, Massachusetts)

Record Details

Originator

C.G. Sargent's Sons (Manufacturer)

Material Type

ephemera
architectural drawings (visual works)
photographs
technical drawings
manuscripts (document genre)
trade catalogs
engravings (prints)
steel engravings (visual works)
stock certificates
cashbooks

Other People

Sargent, Charles Grandison, 1819-1878

Restrictions

This collection is available for research.

Description Level

Collection

Preferred Citation

Item identification. Box #, folder #, C.G. Sargent's Sons Collection (CC016) Historic New England, Library & Archives.

Processing Information

Max Lisanti, 2017

Rules and Conventions

This finding aid is Second Edition DACS-compliant.

Related Items

Chas. C. Sargent's wool machine works, on Stoney Brook R.R. near Lowell, Graniteville, Mass., undated

Historical/Biographical Note

Historical/Biographical Note

The C.G. Sargent's Sons Corporation was founded in Graniteville, Massachusetts- a neighborhood of Westford, about 10 miles west of Lowell- in 1854 by Charles Grandison Sargent, and his business partner, Francis Calvert, both formerly of Lowell. Calvert and Sargent converted a former saw and grist mill into shops used to manufacture machinery for processing and producing textiles, specifically wool and cotton. A great majority of the machinery that was manufactured by the company was created and patented by Charles Sargent himself or, later on, by his sons

The original C.G. Sargent's Sons mill burned down in 1859, and was rebuilt to almost twice its original size by Calvert and Sargent. A partnership with the Abbot Worsted Company at the same time also helped to fuel the company's success. C.G. Sargent's' Sons presence in Graniteville transformed the neighborhood into a culturally diverse and economically stable area, with residents hailing from Ireland, Sweden and Russia, among others. More than half of Graniteville's residents worked for the company or the surrounding mills and quarries. In addition to expanding the mill, Sargent built housing for his employees, supervised the building of a dam to harness water power, and financed the construction of the town's Methodist church and recreation area.

Originally known as "Calvert and Sargent", the company's name was changed to "C.G. Sargent & Sons" when Francis Calvert allowed his shares to be purchased by Sargent in 1862. After Sargent's death in 1878, the company was taken over by his sons, Charles Jr and Francis. Charles and Francis incorporated the company in 1904, formerly changing its name to C.G. Sargent's Sons. After its incorporation, the company grew to serve clients throughout the United States and Canada until its bankruptcy in 1990.

Material in Other Collections

Material in Other Collections

Westford Museum & Historical Society
Object ID: W.2014.27.2; W.2014.27.3; W.2014.27.4; W.2013.6.3; W.2013.6.2; W.2013.6.1; W.2015.1.5