- School & Youth
- Get Involved
An architectural fragment painted brown derived from a balcony
wood (plant material)
architecture (object genre)
Label "Waiting for a Gallery" Fanueil Hall, built in 1742, was rebuilt and enlarged under the direction of Charles Bulfinch between 1805-1806. The building underwent another massive renovation in 1898-99, at which time this architectural element was removed as a souvenir of the "cradle of liberty."
In black ink on paper, attached to bottom of wood: ""From the underside/ of balcony in Faneuil Hall/ Erected 1742/ From Mr. L. B. Chandler/ Cambridgeport 3/8, 1899""
Original To Faneuil Hall (Boston, Mass.),
2 1/2 x 2 3/4 x 4 1/4 (HxWxD) (inches)
Gift of Exeter Historical Society
Massachusetts (United States)