- School & Youth
- Get Involved
Cylindrical painted wood box with cover. Handpainted illustrations on cover and box. Cover depicts red meeting house, flanked by two trees and part of another building, with domed tower silhouette in background. Vignettes on the box depict a tombstone on a hill beneath weeping willows, a windmill on hill, a red building with white balustrade on the roof, and a small yellow cottage.
wood (plant material)
" MEMORIAL / this box was once / a component part of the / first Meeting House built / in Charlestown after its /conflagration by the Eng / lish at the Battle of / Bunker Hill June 17th/ 1775 Built 1783 and taken down 1833." (Inside cover)
Gift of Mrs. Henry Mayo