Drawing of Wrought Iron Grille for Edwin H. Abbot House, Cambridge, Mass., undated


This drawing of a wrought iron grille shows an intricately built grille, or decorative metalwork. It appears to be a gateway or entrance to the house it belongs to, the Edwin H. Abbot House. The decorative wrought iron contains fleur-de-lys.


Descriptive Terms

three-point perspectives (drawings)
wrought iron (iron alloy)
grilles (barrier elements)
Richardsonian Romanesque
drawings (visual works)

Physical Description

13 X 12 in., drawing, pen

Collection Code


Collection Name

General architectural and cartographic collection

Reference Code


Date Notes

Edwin H. Abbott House was built in 1889.


Cambridge (Middlesex county, Massachusetts)

Record Details


Coit, Robert

Material Type

drawings (visual works)

Other People

Coit, Robert
Abbot, Edwin Hale

Other Organizations

Longfellow, Alden and Harlow (Firm)



Description Level


Historical/Biographical Note

Historical/Biographical Note

The Edwin H. Abbot House, at 1 Follen St., Cambridge Mass., was built in 1889 to a design by Longfellow, Alden & Harlow for Edwin Hale Abbot (1834-1927) a railroad tycoon. The house is unusual because it is built of stone and according to the Richardsonian style. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Currenlty it houses the Longy School of Music of Bard College, which it has done since 1937.

Robert Coit, originally from Winchester, Mass., was an architect that practiced at 85 Water St. in Boston, Mass. He was a Fellow of the Boston Society of Architects, and Associate of the American Institute of Architects. He graduated from Harvard College in 1883.

"Harvard College: Class of 1883."