Watercolor of Creese & Cook Tannery, Danvers, Mass., ca. 1922

Collection Type

  • Architecture

Date

ca. 1922

GUSN

GUSN-312759

You can find this within

Browse Collection

Description

This watercolor of the Creese & Cook Tannery shows the expansive site of the buildings. Several large buildings comprise of the tannery, with a large chimney in the center of the main building, spewing dark smoke. The land is fairly barren around the complex, with some trees and rolling hills in the distance. A few smaller houses dot the landscape.

Details

Descriptive Terms

watercolor (paint)
perspective views
tanneries
manufacturing
watercolor (paint)
perspective views

Physical Description

37 X 26 in., watercolor presentation

Collection Code

AR001

Collection Name

General architectural and cartographic collection

Date of Acquisition

2008

Reference Code

AR001.USMA.0356.001

Acquisition Type

Gift

Credit Line

This item was gifted by Jean S. and Frederic A. Sharf in 2008.

Places

Danvers (Essex county, Massachusetts)

Record Details

Originator

Probably Sanborn, F.C. (Artist)

Material Type

watercolor (paint)
perspective views

Other People

Sanborn, F.C.

Other Organizations

Folsom Engineering Company

Subjects

Architecture

Description Level

Item

Historical/Biographical Note

Historical/Biographical Note

The Creese & Cook Tannery in Danvers, Mass. was built in the early 1900s. In 1918, the basic factory complex was enlarged by a two-story brick building on the northwest corner. In 1922, a three-story building was erected on the south side. This watercolor painting was commissioned by the company in 1922 to depict the latest view of thier manufacturing site. The Folsom Engineering Co., whose name is etched at the bottom of the watercolor, was likely the engineering company behind the construction of the additional buildings. Images like this were often used as a basis for a promotional poster or calendar.

After WWII, the business was sold, and due to the changes in the shoe industry by the 1970s, the factory closed in 1982. The buildings were demolished two years later. Due to the toxic waste dumped in the area during its operation as a tannery, the site is now a Superfund.

Source:
"Proud Symbol," Frederic A. Sharf, Historic New England, Winter/Spring 2008.