- School & Youth
- Get Involved
The chromolithograph from the Charles (Chas) H. Crosby & Company depicts Odd Fellows Hall, a very large rectangular fortress of a building, located at the junction of Tremont Street, Berkeley Street, and Warrren Avenue in Boston, MA. The building is flying the Massachusetts flag, and has a rooftop enclosed with a fence. A large tower protrudes from the top of the building. A streetcar, led by a horse, crosses in front of it, and many people are walking along the streets.
1 chromolithograph ; 25 x 19 1/2 inches.,
Prints and engravings collection, 1830s-1920s
25 x 19 1/2 (HxW)(inches)
Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)
Charles H. Crosby & Company (Lithographer)
Billings, Joseph Edward
Charles H. Crosby & Company
The Odd Fellows Building, at the junction of Tremont & Berkeley Streets, was built in 1872 for the Independant Order of Odd Fellows. Designed by the architect Joseph Billings, the building featured many meeting rooms and held various tenants over the years, including Emerson College of Oratory. The building was destroyed in a fire in January, 1932.
The building was designed by Joseph Billings, who was an architect in Boston, Mass during the mid to late 19th century.
Boston Almanac, 1887
Annual Report of the Fire Department and Wire Divison of the City of Boston, 1932.