- School & Youth
- Get Involved
Blue transfer-printed rectangular platter with a scalloped edge. Floral border surrounds a central scene depicting the State House in Boston.
One of many views of the early United States highlighted in the online exhibit "Patriotic America."Exhibited here on a platter, this pattern is #01 of three versions of the Boston State House by Rogers. There are five main pattern motifs present in this version. (there are numerous minor differences on others). They are: 1) Two framing trees, 2) Cows, 3) Sheep, 4) Boy with wheelbarrow, and 5) small figures. There are differences in the transfers on some pieces of this pattern by Rogers that show the presence or absence of one or more of these motifs. Examples of these variations are represented in Rogers' Boston State House #02 and #03 in this exhibit. At least 32 different forms with this popular view are known. Stubbs, Stevenson and EnochWood (whose version may also be seen in this exhibit) also produced a Boston State House pattern.Built around 1795, the Boston State House was designed by the self-taught architect Charles Bulfinch, who also built state houses for Connecticut (1796) and Maine (1832) based on his design for the Somerset House in London. Boston Common (also known as "the Common") is a central public park in Boston, Massachusetts. It is sometimes erroneously referred to as the "Boston Commons". It is part of the scene on pieces whose central image is of the Boston State House. Dating from 1634, it is the oldest city park in the United States. The Boston Common consists of 50 acres of land bounded by Tremont Street,Park Street, Beacon Street, Charles Street, and Boylston Street. The Boston State House, now known as the Massachusetts State House, stands across Beacon Street from the northern edge of the Common.
"State House/ Boston" (Applied)
Subject Massachusetts State House (Boston, Mass.),
Stubbs, Joseph (Designer)
Dale Hall Works (Maker)
Burslem, England, Staffordshire
Food Service T&E; Serving Vessels
12 (W) (inches)
Gift of Mrs. Charles I. Thayer