Series III, Invoices, 1923 (#1.1-1.21, OB.3.4-OB.3.5), contains invoices kept by Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon (1871-1945), while residing at the Governor John Langdon House in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The invoices document purchases made by Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon (1871-1945) from apothecaries; dry goods merchants; grocers; furniture and bedding companies; flower shops; ice dealers; coal suppliers; and newspapers. Invoices for such services as laundry; dressmaking and repair; carpentry; plumbing and electrical work; etc.; are also included, as are invoices for utilities; home and auto insurance; and other purchases. The series is arranged alphabetically by business service.


Descriptive Terms


Physical Description

Invoices (1 file box, 2 oversize folders)

Collection Code


Collection Name

Langdon family papers

Date of Acquisition


Reference Code


Credit Line

Bequest of Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon, 1947


Portsmouth (Rockingham county, New Hampshire)

Record Details


Langdon, Elizabeth Langdon Elwyn, 1871-1946

Material Type


Other People

Langdon, Elizabeth Langdon Elwyn, 1871-1946

Description Level


Location Note

HGO-02-105-A-E-204; HGO-02-105-A-E-106

Historical/Biographical Note

Historical/Biographical Note

John Langdon (1741-1819) was a naval merchant, politician, and four-term Governor of New Hampshire. In 1784, the Governor John Langdon House was built. Langdon and his family occupied the house until the governor's death in 1819. Daughter Elizabeth Langdon Elwyn (1777-1860) returned to the house after the death of her husband Thomas Elwyn (1775-1816) and resided there until 1833. The house was owned by several people outside of the Langdon family until 1877 when the property was purchased by Woodbury Langdon (1836-1921), a descendant of John Langdon's brother, Woodbury Langdon (1739-1805). The house functioned as a home for Woodbury Langdon's (1836-1921) mother, Frances Cutter Langdon Bassett (d. 1902), until her death in 1902 when the house reverted back to Woodbury Langdon (1836-1921). In 1904, Langdon deeded the house to his wife and third cousin, Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon (1871-1945) whom he married in September 1896. (Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon (1871-1945) was the great granddaughter of John Langdon (1741-1819)). Upon her husband's death, Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon (1871-1945) deeded the house to the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities, now Historic New England. Historic New England acquired the house in 1947, although, Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon's (1871-1945) sister, Helen Kremer (dates unknown), maintained life rights to the house until her death in 1955.