Estate inventory

Collection Type

  • Manuscripts



Location Note




You can find this within


Series II, Estate inventory, 1921 (#1.22), contains an estate inventory of Woodbury Langdon (1837-1921) dated November 22, 1921, which records all real estate holdings; bonds and notes; deposits in national banks; stocks; and chattels; held by Langdon at the time of his death (including two houses, and land in Portsmouth, New Hampshire; buildings and land at Fox Point Farm in Newington, New Hampshire; and two additional land holdings in Newington, New Hampshire).


Descriptive Terms

estate inventories
estate inventories

Physical Description

Estate inventory (1 file box)

Collection Code


Collection Name

Langdon family papers

Date of Acquisition


Reference Code


Credit Line

Bequest of Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon, 1947


Portsmouth (Rockingham county, New Hampshire)
Newington (Rockingham county, New Hampshire)

Record Details


Langdon, Woodbury, 1837-1921

Material Type

estate inventories

Other People

Langdon, Woodbury, 1837-1921

Description Level


Location Note


Historical/Biographical Note

Historical/Biographical Note

John Langdon (1741-1819) was a naval merchant, politician, and four-term Governor of New Hampshire. In 1784, the Governor John Langdon House was built. Langdon and his family occupied the house until the governor's death in 1819. Daughter Elizabeth Langdon Elwyn (1777-1860) returned to the house after the death of her husband Thomas Elwyn (1775-1816) and resided there until 1833. The house was owned by several people outside of the Langdon family until 1877 when the property was purchased by Woodbury Langdon (1836-1921), a descendant of John Langdon's brother, Woodbury Langdon (1739-1805). The house functioned as a home for Woodbury Langdon's (1836-1921) mother, Frances Cutter Langdon Bassett (d. 1902), until her death in 1902 when the house reverted back to Woodbury Langdon (1836-1921). In 1904, Langdon deeded the house to his wife and third cousin, Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon (1871-1945) whom he married in September 1896. (Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon (1871-1945) was the great granddaughter of John Langdon (1741-1819)). Upon her husband's death, Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon (1871-1945) deeded the house to the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities, now Historic New England. Historic New England acquired the house in 1947, although, Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon's (1871-1945) sister, Helen Kremer (dates unknown), maintained life rights to the house until her death in 1955.