Checkbook registers and financial logbook

Description

Series I, Checkbook registers and financial logbook, 1906-1923 (#2.1-5.6), contains seventy-seven bound checkbooks registers and a financial logbook used by Woodbury Langdon (1837-1921) and Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon (1871-1945), while residing at the Governor John Langdon House in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The checkbook registers record bank deposits made for savings and investments; and payments made to individuals, companies, and financial institutions. Contained within the financial logbook is a record of banking transactions. The series is arranged chronologically starting with the financial logbook, followed by the checkbook registers.

Details

Descriptive Terms

financial records

Physical Description

Financial records (4 files boxes)

Collection Code

MS040

Collection Name

Langdon family papers

Date of Acquisition

1947

Reference Code

MS040.01

Credit Line

Bequest of Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon, 1947

Places

Portsmouth (Rockingham county, New Hampshire)

Record Details

Originator

Langdon Family

Material Type

financial records

Description Level

Series

Location Note

HGO-02-105-A-E-204

Historical/Biographical Note

Historical/Biographical Note

John Langdon (1741-1819) was a naval merchant, politician, and four-term Governor of New Hampshire. In 1784, the Governor John Langdon House was built. Langdon and his family occupied the house until the governor's death in 1819. Daughter Elizabeth Langdon Elwyn (1777-1860) returned to the house after the death of her husband Thomas Elwyn (1775-1816) and resided there until 1833. The house was owned by several people outside of the Langdon family until 1877 when the property was purchased by Woodbury Langdon (1836-1921), a descendant of John Langdon's brother, Woodbury Langdon (1739-1805). The house functioned as a home for Woodbury Langdon's (1836-1921) mother, Frances Cutter Langdon Bassett (d. 1902), until her death in 1902 when the house reverted back to Woodbury Langdon (1836-1921). In 1904, Langdon deeded the house to his wife and third cousin, Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon (1871-1945) whom he married in September 1896. (Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon (1871-1945) was the great granddaughter of John Langdon (1741-1819)). Upon her husband's death, Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon (1871-1945) deeded the house to the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities, now Historic New England. Historic New England acquired the house in 1947, although, Elizabeth (Elwyn) Langdon's (1871-1945) sister, Helen Kremer (dates unknown), maintained life rights to the house until her death in 1955.