Frank Tingley architectural collection

Collection Type

  • Architecture

Date

1880-1949

GUSN

GUSN-203829

Description

The Frank Tingley architectural collection includes ink wash and watercolor drawings of various obelisks, statuary, memorials, memorial furniture, and mausoleums. Designs include the Lapham memorial (1880s), Jillson memorial, John S. Tripp, Jr., memorial. Most designs refer to specific families or individuals.

Details

Descriptive Terms

memorials
monuments
tombstones (sepulchral monuments)
obelisks (monumental pillars)
mausoleums
architectural drawings (visual works)
photographs
renderings (drawings)

Physical Description

ca. 97 items

Collection Code

AR013

Collection Name

Frank Tingley architectural collection

Reference Code

AR013

Places

Providence (Providence county, Rhode Island)

Record Details

Originator

Tingley, Frank Foster, 1844-1921

Material Type

architectural drawings (visual works)
photographs
renderings (drawings)

Description Level

Collection

Historical/Biographical Note

Historical/Biographical Note

Frank Foster Tingley was born in Providence in 1844 into a family with a long history in the marble business. After a public school education, he began studying architecture in 1862 in Alpheus Morse's office, which produced many designs for mortuary monuments. Tingley studied with Morse for two years, then worked for James Bucklin and Alfred Stone before going into business with his father from 1869 to 1872. After practicing architecture on his own between 1873 and 1874, he returned to the monument business as an agent and head of design for the Smith Granite Co. of Westerly, Rhode Island until 1883. In the years following, he concentrated on the design of monuments and maintained offices in Providence and Boston. Although the latter office closed earlier, the remaining Providence office provided designs for monuments after Tingley's death in 1921. Successors to Tingley's office were A. W. Frazier, F. B. Grover, C. E. Bly, and A. Del Guidici of Providence.

Tingley also designed the Kent & Stanley Manufacturers Building (1892) and the Phillipsdale Bleachery. The greatest concentration of his work may be found in Swan Point Cemetery, Providence.

Source: William H. Jordy and Christopher P. Monkhouse, "Buildings on Paper" (1982), p. 235.