Tremont Theatre, Boston, Mass.

Collection Type

  • Photography

Date

1907-1908

Location Note

Postcards - Geo - Massachusetts - Boston - Tremont Theatre.

GUSN

GUSN-201660

You can find this within

Browse Collection

Description

The New York architectural firm J. B. McElfatrick & Son designed the Tremont Theatre, which opened in 1889 and was located at 179 Tremont Street in Boston, Massachusetts. In April of 1907, Marc Klaw and Abraham Erlanger and the Shubert Brothers, New York theatrical impresarios, formed a new vaudeville circuit called the United States Amusement Company, also known as Advanced Vaudeville. The partners disbanded Advanced Vaudeville in February 1908. At the time, Klaw & Erlanger owned the Tremont Theatre. In 1947, the Tremont Theatre was remodeled and renamed the Astor Theatre. After a fire in 1983, the building was demolished.

Details

Descriptive Terms

theaters (buildings)
marquees
exterior views
picture postcards
photographs

Additional Identification Number

Other identifier PC00003-T

Physical Description

1 postcard

Collection Code

PC001

Collection Name

General photographic collection

Date of Acquisition

1925-05-08

Reference Code

PC001.03.01.TMP.138

Acquisition Type

Gift

Date Notes

Postmarked: August 5, 1911.

Places

Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)

Record Details

Material Type

picture postcards
photographs

Other Organizations

Klaw & Erlanger
United States Amusement Company

Subjects

Vaudeville
Tremont Street (Boston, Mass.)

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Postcards - Geo - Massachusetts - Boston - Tremont Theatre.

Historical/Biographical Note

Sources


Cullen, Frank, Florence Hackman, and Donald McNeilly. Vaudeville, Old and New, 1019-1020.
Rogers, Will. The Papers of Will Rogers : Wild West and Vaudeville, April 1904-September 1908, 504.
New York Times, 1908-04-28, 9.
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/6447, 2010-06-23.