The Gee-Gray House

Description

"This building stands on Prince Street, at the corner of Lafayette Avenue. It was probably built by the Reverend Gee; at all events it belonged to him when he died, in 1750. This house was used as a military hospital during the occupation of Boston by the British troops, especially after the Battle of Bunker Hill.

"It was later noted for having been the residence of Capt. Wm. Gray, who was a noted ship-owner, and who built Gray's Wharf. It is now in a dilapidated condition, and will probably soon disappear." From "Homes of Our Forefathers in Boston, Old England and Boston, New England" by Edwin Whitefield, 1889.

Details

Descriptive Terms

houses
historic sites
line engravings (prints)
prints (visual works)

Additional Identification Number

Prints and Engravings Collection number PR317

Physical Description

1 colored engraving

Collection Code

GC002

Collection Name

Prints and engravings collection, 1830s-1920s

Reference Code

GC002.01.MA.3850.016

Image Dimensions

3.25 x 4.5 (HxW)(inches)

Places

Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)

Record Details

Originator

Whitefield, Edwin, 1816-1892 (Author)

Material Type

line engravings (prints)
prints (visual works)

Restrictions

Good

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Prints: Boston, Ma.: Places or Streets: O-Z