Removal of incline, Cambridge St.

Collection Type

  • Photography

Date

1952-11-12

Location Note

Cheney Transit Negatives

GUSN

GUSN-198718

You can find this within

Browse Collection

Description

Workers are engaged in the process of removing the Cambridge Street incline of the East Boston tunnel extension. Originally built in 1914-1916, as part of the subway continuation to Scollay Square, the Cambridge Street incline was closed in 1954. The front wall and gate of the Harrison Gray Otis House at 141 Cambridge Street is visible in the distance. The New England Telephone and Telegraph Company building stands over Bowdoin Square in the background.

Details

Descriptive Terms

subways
tunnels
commercial buildings
streetscapes
office buildings
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Additional Identification Number

Digital IDs tra00031.1

Physical Description

1 photograph

Collection Code

PC017

Collection Name

Boston Transit Archive, 1895-1960s

Reference Code

PC017.02.TMP.039

Places

Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)

Record Details

Material Type

black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Subjects

Cambridge Street (Boston, Mass.)
West End (Boston, Mass.)

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Cheney Transit Negatives

Historical/Biographical Note

Sources


Massachusetts Department of Transportation. Red Line/Blue Line Connector Project, 2010.
Boston Transit Commission. Annual report, 1916.
http://bostonartdeco.org/boston_art_deco_a_virtual_w/downtown/new_england_telephone_and_t/