The Triangular Building or Warehouse

Collection Type

  • Art

Date

1850

Location Note

Prints: Boston, Ma.: N. Market Street

GUSN

GUSN-198469

You can find this within

Description

"The triangular building recently taken down, was situated at a short distance from Faneuil Hall, and at the northeast of the vacant space around it. It made a corner of an avenue from Market Square to Ann Street. The land was granted to Governor Bellingham about 1640. The building was forty-eight feet by fifty. It was of brick, and covered with slate. The lower story was arched with several doors and windows. There was a tower in the centre and at each end of the building. The tradition is, that this building was anciently a custom-house; another account is, that it was built by London merchants in 1700, for a place to store the goods sent by them to Boston for the New England market. It was long a place of considerable business, and the public scales were formerly kept there."

Details

Descriptive Terms

warehouses
towers (building divisions)
business (commercial function)
storage
line engravings (prints)
prints (visual works)

Additional Identification Number

Prints and Engravings Collection Number PR118

Physical Description

1 line engraving (news)

Collection Code

GC002

Collection Name

Prints and engravings collection, 1830s-1920s

Date of Acquisition

1918-11-01

Reference Code

GC002.01.MA.2700.001

Acquisition Type

Gift

Image Dimensions

4.5 x 6.5 (HxW)(inches)

Credit Line

Gift of Mrs. J.W. Perkins, 1918

Places

Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)

Record Details

Material Type

line engravings (prints)
prints (visual works)

Subjects

North Market Street (Boston, Mass.)

Restrictions

Fair

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Prints: Boston, Ma.: N. Market Street