Methodist Church and playground of Roxbury Latin School with view of burial ground off Kearsarge Ave., Roxbury, Mass.

Description

A view of the Warren Cemetery on Kearsarge Avenue and the rear and side of the Winthrop Street Methodist Episcopal Church on Winthrop Street in Roxbury, Massachusetts. After a fire in 1868, the First Church of Roxbury built this church on Winthrop Street, which was dedicated in 1869. The Boston Latin School petitioned that the city turn over the cemetery, variously called the Warren Cemetery, Kearsarge Burying-Ground, and Kearsarge Burial Ground, to it for use as a playground in 1890, which the City Council approved later that year. A number of headstones stand on the left-hand side of a grassy area that leads up to the rear of the Church. The Roxbury Latin School can be glimpsed on the far right of the image. Neighborhood homes can be seen over a fence on the left of the image.

Details

Descriptive Terms

bell towers
playgrounds
rear
brick (clay product)
exterior views
Episcopal
Methodist
schoolyards
cemeteries
headstones (tombstones)
public buildings
religious buildings
education
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Additional Identification Number

DigitalID 000332
AccessID 508
Other identifier HNEDID-000332

Physical Description

1 photograph

Collection Code

PC001

Collection Name

General photographic collection

Reference Code

PC001.02.01.USMA.2540.0060.001

Date Notes

1890s

Places

Roxbury (Boston, Suffolk county, Massachusetts) [neighborhood]

Record Details

Originator

Hadcock, Henry L., 1855-1931 (photographer)

Material Type

black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Other Organizations

Roxbury Latin School (Mass.)

Subjects

Kearsarge Avenue (Roxbury, Boston, Mass.)
Winthrop Street (Roxbury, Boston, Mass.)
Architectural photography

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Geo.: Large: Mass.: Roxbury: Hadcock