Church of the New Jerusalem, Regent St. at Warren St., Roxbury, Mass.

Description

A view of the front façade of Church of the New Jerusalem at 3 Regent Street at Joseph Warren Square, at the corner of St. James Street in Roxbury, Massachusetts, built in 1874. A bell tower rises from the entranceway, behind which a turret stands on the St. James Street side of the church. On the façade, an arched window contains three quatrefoil round windows. This Swedenborgian church was established in 1870 and was later called the Roxbury Society of the New Jerusalem. The congregation disbanded in 1957, and the church was sold in 1958 and later occupied by the Church of God in Christ.

Details

Descriptive Terms

façades
turrets (towers)
bell towers
churches (buildings)
pudding stone
High Victorian
mounting
exterior views
religious buildings
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Additional Identification Number

DigitalID 000306
AccessID 483
Other identifier HNEDID-000306

Physical Description

1 photograph

Collection Code

PC001

Collection Name

General photographic collection

Reference Code

PC001.02.01.USMA.2540.0040.002

Date Notes

1880s-1900s

Places

Roxbury (Boston, Suffolk county, Massachusetts) [neighborhood]

Record Details

Material Type

black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Subjects

Joseph Warren Square (Roxbury, Boston, Mass.)
Regent Street (Roxbury, Boston, Mass.)
Roxbury pudding stone
Swedenborgians
Warren Street (Roxbury, Boston, Mass.)
Architectural photography

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Geo.: Large: Mass.: Roxbury: Modern: Mounted