House of the Good Shepherd, Roxbury, Mass., undated

Description

An exterior view of the four-story brick House of the Good Shepherd convent and reformatory for girls on Tremont Street (later, 841 Huntington Avenue) opposite Parker Hill in Roxbury, Massachusetts. The view is from a curve in Tremont Street. A high fence surrounds the complex. A horse and carriage is parked at the front gate. The Sisters of the Good Shepherd operated the institution which moved from the Eustis House in Roxbury to this site, which was purchased in 1870. The cornerstone was laid on Dec. 8, 1870 on the former Brigham Estate, and the doors were opened in July 1871. In the early 1960s, Harvard Medical School purchased the site for the expansion of its campus and later with the Roxbury Tenants of Harvard Association built the housing complex, Mission Park, which occupies the site today.

Details

Descriptive Terms

convents (nunneries)
niches
fences
reformatories (buildings)
brick (clay product)
outdoor sculpture
Roman Catholicism
mounting
exterior views
girls
education
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Additional Identification Number

DigitalID 000305
AccessID 482
Other identifier HNEDID-000305

Physical Description

1 photograph

Collection Code

PC001

Collection Name

General photographic collection

Reference Code

PC001.02.01.USMA.2540.0040.001

Places

Roxbury (Boston, Suffolk county, Massachusetts) [neighborhood]
Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)

Record Details

Material Type

black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Other Organizations

Sisters of the Good Shepherd

Subjects

Huntington Avenue (Boston, Mass.)
Mission Hill (Roxbury, Boston, Mass.)
Tremont Street (Boston, Mass.)
Architectural photography

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Large - Massachusetts - Roxbury - Modern - Mounted