Whitfield House, restored, from the northwest

Collection Type

  • Photography

Location Note

Large - Geo - Connecticut - Guilford - Whitefield

GUSN

GUSN-195115

Description

A side exterior view from the northwest of the Henry Whitfield House, now the Henry Whitfield State Museum, in Guilford, Connecticut, after the restoration directed by architect John Frederick Kelly in the 1930s. The Puritan leader Henry Whitfield built the stone house in 1639. A chimney extends along the entire side of the building, and another chimney runs up rear wall of the rear ell. A well sweep stands over a well just behind the house. A gable dormer with diamond-paned windows, matching the other windows of house, projects from the shingle roof. A stone wall surrounds the house.

Details

Descriptive Terms

roofs
gable dormers
lattice windows
chimneys (architectural elements)
ells (building divisions)
rear
granite (rock)
shingle
restoration (process)
single-family dwellings
American Colonial
exterior views
water wells
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Additional Identification Number

DigitalID 000273
AccessID 433
Other identifier HNEDID-000273

Physical Description

1 photograph

Collection Code

PC001

Collection Name

General photographic collection

Reference Code

PC001.02.01.USCT.0770.0050.010

Date Notes

1937

Places

Guilford (New Haven county, Connecticut)

Record Details

Material Type

black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Other People

Whitfield, Henry, 1597-1660?
Kelly, J. Frederick (John Frederick), 1888-1947

Other Organizations

Henry Whitfield State Museum (Conn.)

Subjects

stone houses
stone walls
well sweeps
Architectural photography

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Large - Geo - Connecticut - Guilford - Whitefield