Main room of the Whitfield House, first floor, looking south

Collection Type

  • Photography

Location Note

Large - Geo - Connecticut - Guilford - Whitefield

GUSN

GUSN-195110

Description

An interior view looking south of the main room on the first floor of the Henry Whitfield House, now the Henry Whitfield State Museum, in Guilford, Connecticut, after the restoration directed by architect John Frederick Kelly in the 1930s. The Puritan leader Henry Whitfield built the stone house in 1639. A large fireplace fills almost the entire end wall. The floor is constructed with wide boards. The low ceiling is supported by massive exposed beams.

Details

Descriptive Terms

beams (structural elements)
beam ceilings
interior walls
halls (interior spaces)
granite (rock)
fireplaces
restoration (process)
single-family dwellings
American Colonial
interior views
candle brackets
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Additional Identification Number

DigitalID 000268
AccessID 428
Other identifier HNEDID-000268

Physical Description

1 photograph

Collection Code

PC001

Collection Name

General photographic collection

Reference Code

PC001.02.01.USCT.0770.0050.005

Date Notes

1937

Places

Guilford (New Haven county, Connecticut)

Record Details

Material Type

black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Other People

Whitfield, Henry, 1597-1660?
Kelly, J. Frederick (John Frederick), 1888-1947

Other Organizations

Henry Whitfield State Museum (Conn.)

Subjects

floors, wooden
stone houses
Architectural photography

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Large - Geo - Connecticut - Guilford - Whitefield