Main room of the Whitfield House, first floor, restored, looking north

Collection Type

  • Photography

Location Note

Large - Geo - Connecticut - Guilford - Whitefield

GUSN

GUSN-195109

You can find this within

Description

An interior view looking north of the main room on the first floor of the Henry Whitfield House, now the Henry Whitfield State Museum, in Guilford, Connecticut, after the restoration directed by architect John Frederick Kelly in the 1930s. The Puritan leader Henry Whitfield built the stone house in 1639. A large fireplace fills almost the entire end wall. The floor is constructed with wide boards. The low ceiling is supported by massive exposed beams.

Details

Descriptive Terms

beams (structural elements)
beam ceilings
interior walls
halls (interior spaces)
granite (rock)
fireplaces
restoration (process)
single-family dwellings
American Colonial
interior views
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Additional Identification Number

DigitalID 000267
AccessID 427
Other identifier HNEDID-000267

Physical Description

1 photograph

Collection Code

PC001

Collection Name

General photographic collection

Reference Code

PC001.02.01.USCT.0770.0050.004

Date Notes

1937

Places

Guilford (New Haven county, Connecticut)

Record Details

Material Type

black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Other People

Whitfield, Henry, 1597-1660?
Kelly, J. Frederick (John Frederick), 1888-1947

Other Organizations

Henry Whitfield State Museum (Conn.)

Subjects

floors, wooden
stone houses
Architectural photography

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Large - Geo - Connecticut - Guilford - Whitefield