Whitfield House, from the north

Collection Type

  • Photography

Location Note

Large - Geo - Connecticut - Guilford - Whitefield

GUSN

GUSN-195108

Description

A side exterior view from the north of the Henry Whitfield House, now the Henry Whitfield State Museum, in Guilford, Connecticut, before the restoration directed by architect John Frederick Kelly in the 1930s. The Puritan leader Henry Whitfield built the stone house in 1639. The house and chimneys are plasterd over with stucco and covered by ivy, and the rear addition is attached to the building. Next to the house, there are a pile of stones and ladders, and a slide is leaning against a wall of the house.

Details

Descriptive Terms

side (positional attribute)
granite (rock)
restoration (process)
additions (general components)
single-family dwellings
American Colonial
exterior views
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Additional Identification Number

DigitalID 000266
AccessID 426
Other identifier HNEDID-000266

Physical Description

1 photograph

Collection Code

PC001

Collection Name

General photographic collection

Reference Code

PC001.02.01.USCT.0770.0050.003

Date Notes

1930

Places

Guilford (New Haven county, Connecticut)

Record Details

Material Type

black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Other People

Whitfield, Henry, 1597-1660?

Other Organizations

Henry Whitfield State Museum (Conn.)

Subjects

ivy
stone houses
Architectural photography

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Large - Geo - Connecticut - Guilford - Whitefield