Whitfield House

Collection Type

  • Photography

Location Note

Large - Geo - Connecticut - Guilford - Whitefield

GUSN

GUSN-195107

Description

A side exterior view of the Henry Whitfield House, now the Henry Whitfield State Museum, in Guilford, Connecticut, before the restoration directed by architect John Frederick Kelly in the 1930s. The Puritan leader Henry Whitfield built the stone house in 1639. The house and chimneys are plasterd over with stucco and covered by vines, and the rear addition is attached to the building. A chimney runs up the entire side of the building. There are a flagpole and a cannon in front of the house.

Details

Descriptive Terms

chimneys (architectural elements)
side (positional attribute)
granite (rock)
stucco
cannons (artillery)
additions (general components)
flagpoles
single-family dwellings
American Colonial
exterior views
vines
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Additional Identification Number

DigitalID 000265
AccessID 425
Other identifier HNEDID-000265

Physical Description

1 photograph

Collection Code

PC001

Collection Name

General photographic collection

Reference Code

PC001.02.01.USCT.0770.0050.002

Date Notes

ca. 1924

Places

Guilford (New Haven county, Connecticut)

Record Details

Material Type

black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Other People

Whitfield, Henry, 1597-1660?

Other Organizations

Henry Whitfield State Museum (Conn.)

Subjects

stone houses
Architectural photography

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Large - Geo - Connecticut - Guilford - Whitefield