Four exterior views of the Old Witch / Corwin House, North and Essex Sts., Salem

Description

This is a composite of four exterior views of the Jonathan Corwin House, also known as the Witch House, at 310 1/2 Essex Street in Salem, Massachusetts. Jonathan Corwin served as a magistrate and judge during the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. The first image is a reproduction of an 1819 Samuel Bartoll painting, the original of which is in the Peabody Essex Museum. The second is a pre-1868 photograph of the house remodeled with the gambrel roof, which was done in 1746 by the widow of Corwin's grandson. The third image is probably a view of the back of the house. The fourth image is of the single-floor apothecary shop George P. Farrington added to the house around 1856.

Details

Descriptive Terms

gable roofs
gambrel roofs
façades
storefronts
drugstores
rear
side (positional attribute)
front (positional attribute)
frame construction
single-family dwellings
American Colonial
exterior views
pharmacists
backs (portions)
commercial buildings
photomechanical prints
photographs

Additional Identification Number

DigitalID 000143
AccessID 364
Other identifier HNEDID-000143

Physical Description

1 photomechanical print

Collection Code

PC001

Collection Name

General photographic collection

Reference Code

PC001.02.01.USMA.2570.1520.001

Places

Salem (Essex county, Massachusetts)

Record Details

Material Type

photomechanical prints
photographs

Other People

Bartoll, Samuel, 1786-1837
Corwin, Jonathan, 1640-1718
Farrington, George P.
Andrew, Daniel

Subjects

Essex Street (Salem, Mass.)
North Street (Salem, Mass.)
Architectural photography

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Geo.: Large: Mass.: Salem: Witch / Corwin House: Mounted.