Exterior view of the Old Witch / Corwin House, North and Essex Sts., Salem

Collection Type

  • Photography

Location Note

Geo.: Small: Mass.: Salem: Witch House

GUSN

GUSN-195048

You can find this within

Browse Collection

Description

This exterior view shows the gabled front façade of the Jonathan Corwin House, also known as the Witch House, at 310 1/2 Essex Street in Salem, Massachusetts. A car is parked at a meter in front of the house, and another car is parked in a driveway next to the house. Jonathan Corwin served as a magistrate and judge during the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. Boston architects Gordon Robb and Frank Chouteau Brown led the restoration of the house which Historic Salem, Inc. started in 1945.

Details

Descriptive Terms

gable roofs
façades
historic house museums (buildings)
restoration (process)
front (positional attribute)
jetties (building divisions)
frame construction
single-family dwellings
American Colonial
exterior views
automobiles
black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Additional Identification Number

DigitalID 000141
AccessID 362
Other identifier HNEDID-000141

Physical Description

1 photograph

Collection Code

PC001

Collection Name

General photographic collection

Reference Code

PC001.03.01.TMP.051

Date Notes

1940s-1950s

Places

Salem (Essex county, Massachusetts)

Record Details

Material Type

black-and-white prints (photographs)
photographs

Other People

Corwin, Jonathan, 1640-1718
Brown, Frank Chouteau, 1876-1947
Robb, Gordon
Andrew, Daniel

Subjects

Essex Street (Salem, Mass.)
North Street (Salem, Mass.)
Architectural photography

Description Level

Item

Location Note

Geo.: Small: Mass.: Salem: Witch House