Album 41B: Cambridge Photographic Club - 1886-1887

Collection Type

  • Photography

Date

1886-87

Location Note

HGO-01-001-O-E-106

GUSN

GUSN-194162

You can find this within

Browse Collection

Description

This album includes twenty-three portraits and landscapes, including Riedesel Avenue and Brewster Street in Cambridge, Mass.; Newton Lower Falls; and the dam at Watertown, Mass.

Details

Descriptive Terms

portraits
interior spaces
landscapes (environments)
waterfalls (natural bodies of water)
dams
photograph albums
black-and-white photographs

Additional Identification Number

album number 41-B

Physical Description

1 photograph album; 10 x 12 1/2 inches

Collection Code

PC009

Collection Name

Photograph albums collection

Reference Code

PC009.041B

Acquisition Type

Gift

Credit Line

Gift of Miss Lois Lilley Howe

Places

Cambridge (Middlesex county, Massachusetts)
Newton Lower Falls (Newton, Middlesex county, Massachusetts) [part of inhabited place]
Watertown (Middlesex county, Massachusetts)

Record Details

Originator

Attributed to Howe, Lois Lilley, 1864-1964 (Photographer)

Material Type

photograph albums
black-and-white photographs

Other Organizations

Cambridge Photographic Club (Cambridge, Mass.)

Description Level

Item

Location Note

HGO-01-001-O-E-106

Historical/Biographical Note

Historical/Biographical Note

This is one of six albums documenting the work of members in 1885, 1886-87, 1889, 1893, 1894, and 1895. This is an outstanding record of the viewpoints and techniques typical of amateur photographers of the period. The albums are also intersting for viewing architectural subjects. Individual photographers are unfortunately unidentified. However, it is believed that the 1885 volume may represent the work of Lois Lilley Howe, better known as the first woman to graduate from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's School of Architecture. Howe was was also an amateur photographer. (Information supplied by Charles Sullivan, Director of the Cambridge Historical Commission). Also includes " A Short history of the Old Cambridge Photographic Club" by James A. Wells, 1903.