Club

Collection Type

  • Cultural artifacts

Date

19th century

GUSN

GUSN-170906

Description

Maori (New Zealand/Aotearoa) wooden staff/club known as taiaha, flattened and wide at one end and the other with a carved face and tongue. The pointed end takes the form of a decorated tongue projecting from the open mouth of a stylized head, carved on both sides. The eyes of the head are inlaid with shell. The taiaha was used in hand-to-hand combat, and are still used in mau taiaha, an ancient form of stick fighting.

Details

Descriptive Terms

clubs (weapons)
wood (plant material)
shell (animal material)
Maori
Club

Associated Building

Original to Phillips House (Salem, Mass.),

Additional Identification Number

E47,161
FD070

Maker

Unknown

Location of Origin

Pacific Island Group

Object Type

Armament -- Bludgeon

Dimensions

49 3/8 x 2 1/2 x 1 3/4 (HxWxD) (inches)

Credit Line

Gift of the Stephen Phillips Memorial Charitable Trust for Historic Preservation

Accession Number

2006.44.1198

Reference Notes

http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/objectdetails.aspx?oid=132774

Places

New Zealand