War Club

Collection Type

  • Cultural artifacts

GUSN

GUSN-170803

Description

A double headed war club, or 'u'u, from the Marquesas Islands (Te Henua 'Enana). Made of heavy ironwood, or toa, the head of the 'u'u has human-like faces on both sides. These faces are composed of smaller faces and pairs of eyes. The eyes and nose, for instance, are made of small human heads. There are other faces carved at the top of the head and on the edge just above the crossbar. Under the crossbar is a band of intricate carving, another face, and three final bands of carving. There is a long tapered handle ending in a slightly flared base. The carving is slightly different on both sides. 'U'u were carried by members of the warrior class and were used as weapons and as signals of status.

Details

Descriptive Terms

clubs (weapons)
ironwood
Polynesian
Club

Associated Building

Original to Phillips House (Salem, Mass.),

Additional Identification Number

E47,159
FD017

Maker

Unknown

Location of Origin

Pacific Island Group

Object Type

Armament -- Bludgeon

Dimensions

6 7/8 (W) (inches)

Credit Line

Gift of the Stephen Phillips Memorial Charitable Trust for Historic Preservation

Accession Number

2006.44.1154

Places

Îles Marquises (French Polynesia) [island group]