Framed Cogswell's Grant Sign

Collection Type

  • Architecture

Date

1880-1920

GUSN

GUSN-11312

Description

A rectangular, vertical format sign. It is painted white with black molding on two lateral edges, with white ground with black letters, on two separate boards.

Details

Descriptive Terms

plaques (flat objects)
oil paint (paint)
wood (plant material)
stenciling
commemoratives
local history (discipline)
Oil Paint
Commemorative
Historic House
Plaque, Date

Inscription

In black paint overall in lines on the board face is written: "House built in 1687 by Cap. Jonathan Cogswell/owned in Cogswell Family until 1839. Col./Jonathan Cogswell last owner of that name/on committee of correspondence and inspection/in Revolutionary period. Held other prominent/positions, was Major then Colonel in Revolution./Voted for adoption of Constitution of United/States. Married Elizabeth Wise grand-/daughter of Rev. John Wise./This farm part of great tract of land granted/to first settler of that name John Cogswell 1635. [appears to bear letters made with four stencils, all slightly different]

Associated Building

Original to Cogswell's Grant (Essex, Mass.),

People and Organizations

Cogswell Family
Mrs. Elizabeth Wise Cogswell
Capt. Jonathan Cogswell
Col. Jonathan Cogswell
Mr. John Cogswell

Maker

Unknown

Dimensions

22 x 25 (HxW) (inches)

Credit Line

Gift of Bertram K. and Nina Fletcher Little

Accession Number

1991.1659

Places

Essex (Essex county, Massachusetts)
Massachusetts (United States)