- School & Youth
- Get Involved
This diamond brooch contains a total of seventy-six diamonds arranged in an oval sunburst pattern. The center is a large, old cushion-cut diamond surrounded by prong-set old mine and rose-cut diamonds, all in a platinum-plated gold mount. The brooch is set for optional wear as a pendant with a cross-shaped, diamond-set bail. The brooch was associated with a box, 2006.44.31.2, which is most likely not original to the brooch.
"Mementos: Jewelry of Life and Love from Historic New England": Anna Pingree Peabody most likely brought this platinum and gold brooch, set with fourteen carats of diamonds, home from a European excursion in the 1890s. Upon her death in 1911 she left it, along with much of her fine jewelry, to her niece, Anna Wheatland Phillips.
New York Winter Antique Show, January 2010: While diamonds have been worn since antiquity, they became increasingly common in the nineteenth century as improved mining, cutting, and polishing techniques made them more popular. This dazzling Beaux-Arts piece, which could be worn as a brooch or a pendant, contains seventy-six pear and round cut diamonds. It belonged originally to Anna Peabody of Boston, Massachusetts.
Original to Phillips House (Salem, Mass.),
2 x 1 1/2 x 7/8 (HxWxD) (inches)
Gift of the Stephen Phillips Memorial Charitable Trust for Historic Preservation
"Jewelry at Historic New England," Online exhibit presented by Historic New England launched September 30, 2007 at www.historicnewengland.org/jewelryhistory/.