- School & Youth
- Get Involved
The Eustis Estate Historic District in Milton, Massachusetts, is the most recent addition to the National Register of Historic Places. It encompasses approximately ninety-seven acres spanning from Canton Avenue to the Blue Hills Reservation and includes thirteen buildings constructed between 1878 and 1950.
The focal point of the district is the 1878 stone mansion designed by Boston architect William Ralph Emerson for William Ellery Channing Eustis and Edith Hemenway Eustis. Historic New England is transforming the mansion into a historic house museum and study center opening in May 2017.
Other buildings within the new district include a gatehouse facing Canton Avenue, a barn across the street that is in private ownership, the Colonial Revival–style Frederick Augustus Eustis house, and the privately owned Vappi–Myers ranch house.
The protected open space includes landscape designed by prominent landscape architect Ernest Bowditch, open fields, cultivated agricultural fields and orchards, a historic ice pond, and woodland.
You can stay informed about the Eustis Estate Museum and Study Center project by signing up for email updates.