Join our dedicated team in Rhode Island preserving a historic working farm. Using innovative sustainable practices, Watson Farm continues the tradition of pastoral husbandry, grazing Heritage Red Devon cattle and sheep on the scenic seaside pastures.
Location: Watson Farm, Jamestown, R.I.
Description: The assistant farm manager is responsible for assisting the farm manager in the agricultural and landscape maintenance and livestock management associated with the running of Watson Farm, Jamestown, R.I.
In this position, you will:
- Assist farm manager in farm related tasks including landscape maintenance, field work and hay production, invasive plant control, stone wall clearing and repair, fence clearing and repair, tree work, machinery maintenance and operation, and light carpentry work.
- Assist farm manager in livestock management including feeding and handling of cows and sheep, rotational grazing, water systems, breeding, calving and lambing, and marketing.
- Provide all aspects of weekly landscape maintenance for public areas including mowing, weed-whacking, and chainsaw clearing around the farm entry, farm house, barns, and public paths.
- Provides support for public programs and visitation. This position regularly interacts with the public.
- High school diploma or equivalent education.
- 3 years of job-related experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Experience with operation and maintenance of power tools, landscape equipment, and farm equipment including tractors.
- Mechanical aptitude and strong communication skills
Other Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working with and handling livestock, specifically, sheep and cattle.
Applications: Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected].
Historic New England is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to supporting equality of opportunity and respect for diversity. We are committed to providing equal opportunity in employment to all qualified persons without regard to non-work-related factors such as race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Historic New England offers generous and comprehensive vacation, holiday, and health and wellness benefit packages.