Easement Properties for Sale
Historic New England offers owners of properties in the Preservation Easement Program the exclusive ability to list these properties for sale on our website. To list a property for sale, please call 617-994-6642.
Current listing of easement properties for sale:
The 1754 Crocker Tavern in Barnstable, Massachusetts, is historically significant and worthy of preservation. Constructed by Cornelius Crocker as a tavern to accommodate travelers attending the courts of Barnstable County, the structure was used as a tavern until the middle of the nineteenth century, operating under various names including Sturgis Tavern and Aunt Lydia’s Tavern. At some time in the nineteenth century the building was expanded and its central chimney stack was removed to allow for the creation of a center hall and back staircase. Unique features protected at this building include its ambitious Georgian style entry, interior paneling and woodwork at its northwest parlor and chamber, and an early milestone marker that notes the distances to Boston and Provincetown.
The 3.2 acre property includes a barn, stone walls, and a densely-wooded lot. In recognition of these qualities, the house has been listed as a contributing structure in the Old King’s Highway National Register District. Preservation restrictions held by Historic New England protect the historically important interior and exterior features of the Crocker Tavern, both for their aesthetic value and as irreplaceable artifacts of the craftsmanship of eighteenth-century New England.
For more information contact Kathleen Byrne at 781-589-7015 or KSByrne@robertpaul.com, Robert Paul Properties.
Hoover House, Lincoln, Mass.
For the first time since its construction in 1937, the Hoover House in Lincoln, Massachusetts is offered for sale. Constructed by the renowned Modern architect Henry B. Hoover for his own family, the house began Hoover’s career in residential architecture. It was also the first Modernist house built in Lincoln, MA, a town known for its collection of early Modern residences. During his career, Hoover designed and worked on over 25 other Modern residences in Lincoln. The American Modernist style Hoover House is set on top of a hill overlooking the Cambridge Reservoir. The original 1937 design included eight rooms, plus a half basement. Hoover paid particular attention to the site of his house; he designed the landscape himself and made sure the layout of the house complemented the topography. Hoover also used fenestration to maximize the sunlight and/or shade that the roof overhang created within the house. In 1955 Hoover enlarged the house by adding a bedroom wing, radiant floor heating, and a carport. He also enlarged the kitchen, changed the front entrance, and enlarged the living area windows while installing single-pane glass with aluminum frames throughout the house. In 1989 Henry B. Hoover died and the property was left to his three children who ensured its long-term preservation by donating a perpetual preservation easement to Historic New England in 2004. For more information please visit http://lexingtonjanovitz.com/2015/06/the-hoover-house-offered-for-the-first-time/
Lee-Whipple House, Manchester, Mass.
Constructed circa 1730 the Lee-Whipple House is a large, two-and-one-half-story Georgian style house with a gambrel roof set on 1.4 acres in a quiet neighborhood. The house is surrounded by open lawns and gardens and remains in a state of excellent preservation with intact wood paneling and decorative grained-painted woodwork at its interior. Preservation restrictions held by Historic New England protect exterior elevations of the house and the interior eighteenth century paneling from insensitive alteration.
For more information contact Holly Fabyan at J Barrett and Company Realty at (978) 526-8555 or visit:
Pollard-Marshall House was constructed in 1782 by Captain Thaddeus Pollard, a patriot in the Continental Army, and is a well-preserved and rare example of a double, late-Georgian style house enlarged in the 1830s, when its hipped roof was replaced with an end-gable roof. Currently for sale, this single-family home retains many exterior and interior features original to its date of construction, including its entry, central staircase, door and window hardware, plaster, and woodwork. Of special note: a swinging partition wall on the second story, an interior well with original counterweight, and two unfinished fireboxes in the attic. The site comprises two parcels of rich agricultural land totaling 16.41 acres with an eighteenth-century bank barn, pond, and a registered American Sycamore tree believed to be 400 years old (the third oldest in the state).
The owners plan to ensure the long-term preservation of their property through a preservation easement that they will donate to Historic New England prior to the sale. The easement will protect the property from future subdivision and development while also protecting site features, the exterior of the house, and important interior features, such as the woodwork, mantelpieces, door hardware and flooring, and the barn.
Taylor-Barry House in Kennebunk, Maine, is currently offered for sale. Constructed between 1803 and 1804 by master carpenter Thomas Eaton for William Taylor, Taylor-Barry House is an important example of high-style Federal architecture in coastal Maine. A preservation easement held by Historic New England protects the historically important features of the house, both for their aesthetic value and as irreplaceable artifacts of craftsmanship. To accomplish this goal, the easement identifies those features that must be preserved as well as those parts of the building that can be adapted to the requirements of modern living. For more information please contact Gail Arnold of Kennebunk Beach Realty at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 604-7721. The online listing is available at www.22summerstreet.com.
Individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places, David Webb Jr. House is a rare opportunity to own an important piece of New Canaan’s past. The house was constructed c. 1786 by David Webb Jr. on land he purchased from his father-in-law, Deodate Davenport. The property had a succession of owners through the nineteenth century until it was purchased by Henry B. and Flora Davenport in 1892. During the Davenport ownership in the early twentieth century the house was expanded with several additions, and a formal terraced garden was added south of the house. At this point, the property underwent its transformation from a subsistence farm to a country retreat, which was a typical transformation for many similar properties in New Canaan during this time as the town became a popular suburb of New York City. The setting of the house includes 4.6 acres of land with open lawns, gardens, stone walls, and mature trees, along with a carriage house and guest cottage. Today the house retains elements from each of the significant periods of its construction and is an important example of early Federal and Colonial Revival-style architecture, materials, and workmanship in southwestern Connecticut. Conservation and preservation restrictions held by Historic New England protect the scenic and historically important features of the house outbuildings and landscape, while allowing the premises to be updated to meet the needs of modern living. Learn more.
Located on Bridge Street in Historic Salem, the c. 1810 Woodbridge House is offered for sale. This impressive three-story, Federal-style, brick building is attributed to Salem architect and wood carver Samuel McIntire. Of notable significance is its remarkable intact interior woodwork which includes carved wood ceiling cornices, dados, and mantelpieces. The Woodbridge House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places in recognition of its architectural features. For more information please contact Bill Little, Little & Co., Realtors, LLC at 978-745-4447 or 978-317-1179.