Otis House, 1916
By 1916, the Otis House had been altered. Even though the house was still known as the Otis House, as visible on the plaque over the front door, many changes had occurred on the front façade of the house. Storefronts were built in front of the house by the 1820s, and later, dormers and shutters were added, the lunette and Palladian windows were replaced with Victorian style bay windows, and the six-over-six paned windows were replaced with more modern two-over-two paned windows. The Society for Preservation of New England Antiquities, now Historic New England, purchased the Otis House in 1916. The house was to be used as the organization’s headquarters and the “New England Museum.” William Sumner Appleton, the organization’s founder, set about restoring the Otis House to its Federal grandeur.
Click to view full-size image… — Size: 41.8 kB