Skip to content

Home > Historic Properties > Homes > Barrett House > Collections on Display

Collections on Display

Side Chair

Side chairThis walnut and maple Queen Anne-style high chair represents the height of style in colonial America. The maker of the chair is unknown, but it was likely manufactured in Boston, Massachusetts, c. 1740-65. This chair, as part of a larger set, belonged to Charles Barrett Sr. and was passed to successive generations of Barretts along with Forest Hall.

 

 

 

 

 

Sign Language Mug

Sign language mugThis children’s transfer-printed earthenware mug, made in Staffordshire, England, c. 1820, displays the alphabet in sign language. The mug belonged to Charles Barrett III (1807-1862), who lost his hearing as a young child. Charles was one of the first students to attend the American Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb in 1817, the first school in the nation to cater to students with special needs.

 

 

 

Mount Chocorua

Mount ChocoruaThis oil painting of one of the most distinctive peaks in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, Mount Chocorua, was painted by Benjamin Champney, c. 1860. Champney was born in New Ipswich, New Hampshire, in 1817. After training in Boston and Europe, Champney immersed himself in the landscapes of northern New Hampshire. He is widely regarded as the dean of the White Mountain painters, a tradition that is in line with the aesthetic of the Hudson River School. 

 

Seymour Sideboard

Sideboard

Made of curly maple and walnut, this impressive sideboard produced by John and Thomas Seymour was manufactured in Boston c. 1800. It is believed to have been a wedding gift for Charles Barrett Jr. and Martha Minot. The continuity of this piece in the Barrett House collection is highlighted by Martha Minot Barrett’s 1842 inventory, which lists the “sideboard in entry.” 

 

 

 

 

 

New England Glassworks Bottle

Bottles

These green, hand-blown glass bottles are surviving artifacts of the short-lived New England Glassworks company in Temple, New Hampshire. Charles Barrett Sr. was one of the proprietors of this local business in the 1780s. The bottles are a few of several objects in the Barrett House that reflect the varied manufacturing businesses in the local area in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.

Collections on Display