Weddings and Special Events
Open April through November
Set in an expansive landscape of gardens, lawns, and meadows, the Codman Estate Carriage House offers a unique country setting for:
- Engagement parties and rehearsal dinners
- Anniversary and birthday parties
The Carriage House has been renovated especially for private parties and functions. With its rich wood paneling and rustic ambiance, it provides a casually elegant and affordable option for your special day. A highlight of the landscape is the Italian Garden. This surprisingly formal secret garden features a marble-columned pergola covered with flowering vines, and is a perfect location for wedding ceremonies. Guests sit alongside a reflecting pool surrounded by flowers, classical urns, and statuary. An English country garden, originally designed and tended by Dorothy Codman, offers a beautiful but less formal setting for photographs.
Your rental gives you use of the Carriage House, gardens, and grounds, and the flexibility to design your own event. Adorn tables with flowers and fine linens for a formal wedding. Choose checkered tablecloths and set up a volleyball net for a summer barbecue. Treat your guests to cocktails and passed hors d’oeuvres in the Italian Garden. Dance late into the evening.
The Carriage House itself comfortably accommodates eighty seated guests or sixty to seventy seated guests with space for dancing. With a tent at the entrance, the space accommodates up to 150 guests. The estate is a hidden jewel, offering the pastoral charm of bygone times.
We invite you to schedule a visit to the Codman Carriage House and Gardens and meet with one of our event team.
April through November
Monday through Friday
Your rental fee supports Historic New England's mission to preserve and share New England heritage. To express our thanks for your support, we offer you a complimentary one-year membership. Membership benefits include free admission to Historic New England sites, discounts on merchandise and events, and a subscription to Historic New England magazine.
- Eighty seated at round tables inside the Carriage House
- Sixty to seventy with room for dancing inside the Carriage House
- 150 with a tent adjoining the Carriage House (includes space for dancing)
Rental Fee Includes
- Exclusive use of Carriage House function room measuring 31’ x 31’ plus two 10’ x 15’ alcoves
- Use of the grounds, including the beautiful Italian Garden
- Fully equipped catering kitchen
- Use of 150 white garden chairs
- Fifteen 60" tables (seats 8-10 guests)
- Four 48" round tables (seats 6-8 guests)
- Four 36" round cocktail tables (seats 4-5 guests)
- Four high-top cocktail tables
- One handicap-accessible restroom, plus one additional restroom
- Expert planning guidance by Codman event staff
- On-site planning meeting with your caterer
- Event Supervisor for the day
- Coordination of deliveries
- One-year Historic New England membership