A Brief History of Codman Estate
The Codman Carriage House and Gardens are located on the grounds of Codman Estate in Lincoln, Massachusetts. Positioned on a knoll overlooking pleasure grounds, farmlands, and woods, the mansion was built in 1740 by the politically prominent Russell family. In 1790, John Codman took control of the property with a goal to create a country estate fashioned in the English manner. He made extensive improvements to the original Georgian house and surrounding grounds. The property, known by the family as The Grange, became a powerful force in the lives of five generations of the Codman family. Each generation to live there left its mark, and the estate that was originally a country retreat gradually came to symbolize the family's distinguished past. Codman Estate is now owned and protected by Historic New England.