Blue transfer-printed pearlware platter with a bead-and-bar molded edge. Floral border surrounding a central scene illustrating the Alms House in Boston.
One of many views of the early United States highlighted in the online exhibit "Patriotic America."<br/>
Designed by Charles Bulfinch, the almshouse stood on the bank of the Charles River from 1800 to 1825. The upper portion of the building consisted of three stories containing 48 rooms. The building was enclosed by handsome gates and brick walls. This view was also used by Ralph Stevenson in his Vine Border version of the pattern, titled Almshouse, Boston.
Stevenson, Ralph (Maker)
Printed on bottom: ALMS HOUSE/BOSTON 5 Impressed on bottom: STEVENSON [Partial label from Salem antiques dealer]
- Location of origin
- Cobridge, England, Staffordshire
- Associated Building
- Subject Alms House.
- Object type
- Food Service T&E; Serving Vessels
- Descriptive terms
- People and organizations
- 1 5/8 x 11 1/4 (HxW) (inches)
- Accession Number
- Credit Line
- Museum Accession