Skip to content

Search Collections

Lithograph of Odd Fellows Hall, Junction of Tremont and Berkeley Streets, and Warren Avenue, Boston, Mass., 1871

Description

The chromolithograph from the Charles (Chas) H. Crosby & Company depicts Odd Fellows Hall, a very large rectangular fortress of a building, located at the junction of Tremont Street, Berkeley Street, and Warrren Avenue in Boston, MA. The building is flying the Massachusetts flag, and has a rooftop enclosed with a fence. A large tower protrudes from the top of the building. A streetcar, led by a horse, crosses in front of it, and many people are walking along the streets.

You can find this within:

Details

Collection Name
Prints and engravings collection, 1830s-1920s
Collection Code
GC002
Acquisition Type
Gift
Physical Description
25 X 19.5 in., chromolithograph
Collection Type
Graphic Materials
Description Level
File part
GUSN
312048
Reference Code
GC002.01.MA.3850.020

Historical/Biographical Note

The Odd Fellows Builiding, at the junction of Tremont & Berkeley Streets, was built in 1872 for the Independant Order of Odd Fellows. Designed by the architect Joseph Billings, the building featured many meeting rooms and held various tenants over the years, including Emerson College of Oratory. The building was destroyed in a fire in January, 1932.

The building was designed by Joseph Billings, who was an architect in Boston, Mass during the mid to late 19th century.

Sources:

Boston Almanac, 1887

Annual Report of the Fire Department and Wire Divison of the City of Boston, 1932.

Record details

Originator
Charles H. Crosby & Company (Lithographer)
Other People
Billings, Joseph Edward
Other Organizations
Charles H. Crosby & Company
Descriptive Terms
chromolithographs
Material Type
chromolithographs
lithographs
Subjects
Architecture
Places
Boston (Suffolk county, Massachusetts)
Places (Buildings)
Odd Fellows Hall (Boston, Mass.)

Comments