A blue transfer print pearlware plate with a scalloped edge. It has a border of church medallions and flowers surrounding a central landscape of Pittsfield, Massachusetts.
One of many views of the early United States highlighted in the online exhibit "Patriotic America." <br/>
This scene is part of a very popular series of platters, plates and vegetable dishes manufactured by Clews. The prominent Elm was known for its size and beauty, and the fence was erected around it in 1820 to protect it. However the tree was struck by lightning and was taken down in 1861. The central building is the First Congregational Church, (1793-1853), the right hand structure was the Town Hall. The far left structure was the Berkshire Hotel (1826-66).
Clews, James & Ralph
Clews (stamped mark on base)
- Location of origin
- Cobridge, England, Staffordshire
- Object type
- Food Service T&E; Eating Vessels
- Descriptive terms
- 1 (D), 8 5/8 (diameter) (inches)
- Accession Number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mrs. Margaret R. Kimberley