Skip to content

Search Collections

Thomas Pierce (1635-1706) papers

Description

Series II, Thomas Pierce (1635-1706) papers, 1692-1706 (#1.2-1.3; OB.x.x), contains legal documents relating to Pierce's land purchases and the settling of his estate. The five deeds relate to Pierce's acquisitions of small land parcels (including upland, meadow, and woodland) in Dorchester, Massachusetts. Pierce purchased the parcels from Atherton Mather, Stephen Minott, Joseph Minott, James Minott, and Samuel Clap[p]; the 1692 deed from Atherton Mather of Windsor, Connecticut, is signed by Governor Simon Bradstreet (1603-1697) of Massachusetts. The documents relating to the Pierce estate include an inventory made less than a month after his death, as well as a list of property, household furnishings, and personal possessions designated for Pierce's son, John Pierce (1668-1744). The series is arranged alphabetically by record type.

You can find this within:

Details

Collection Name
Pierce family papers
Collection Code
MS023
Dates
1692-1706
Physical Description
Personal papers
Collection Type
Manuscripts
Description Level
Series
GUSN
298823
Reference Code
MS023.02

Historical/Biographical Note

Thomas Pierce (1635-1706) inherited the Pierce lands when his father Robert died in 1664. He had been married for three years to Mary (Fry) Pierce (1641-1704), from Weymouth, and they and their son Thomas (1662-c.1730), may have lived with the senior Pierces. Thomas and Mary had seven more children. Although children frequently died in infancy or in early childhood in the seventeenth century, seven of the Pierce children lived into their early twenties, and the family household during those years was large and multi-generational.

Thomas Pierce become a freeman and was chosen constable in 1674. His other responsibilities within the town were typical of the seventeenth century. In 1667 he was appointed to view the fences in the Neponset area, and he also served as one of the "sup'visors of county and town highways," seeing to their upkeep and repair. In 1696 Thomas Pierce purchased from James Minot twenty acres of upland, "together with all and singular the housing Ediffices, buildings, and Fences standing thereon Yard Garden." This property, which included what is now known as the Pierce House, lay along the Lower Road not far from his father's house. With various additions and alterations over the years, it would be the Pierce family home for eight more generations.

Record details

Originator
Pierce, Thomas, 1635-1706
Material Type
personal papers
Location Note
Folders 1.2-1.3, OB.x.x

Browse Collection

Use the links below to browse up and down the collection hierarchy from the current record.

Comments