Molded white clay body w/ colorless glaze. Stilt marks on front and back. Circular plate form w/ slightly shaped edge, wide dished rim, pronounced cavetto and deep well. Incised foot rings. Underglaze blue transfer printed decoration from pattern "Italian Buildings/ R. Hall" (marked in blue). Features central reserve of romanticized garden w/ urns and two women picking flowers; spearhead border. Rim w/ elaborate floral bouquets, sprigs, swags n three repeats.
Hall, Ralph (Maker)
- Location of origin
- Tunstall, England, Staffordshire
- Associated Building
- Coffin House (Newbury, Mass.).
- Object type
- Food Service T&E
- Descriptive terms
figure- and animal-derived motifs
women (female humans)
- 10.25 (diameter) (inches)
- Accession Number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Margaret E.C. Merriam in memory of her mother Elizabeth Low Coffin Colman
- Reference Notes
- Snyder, Jeffrey B.. Romantic Staffordshire Ceramics. [No Publisher].