Walker and Pratt iron stove. The top is made up of six panels that part in the center to reveal a shelf. Below the shelf are two flaps that can be turned to allow heat in and out of the two ovens that are directly bellow them. The two ovens are covered by doors that open horizontally and from the center by two knobs. The stove top has six cooking circles and each can be removed. The bottom is made up of four plates that look like doors and three narrow, rectangular doors in the center that open and allow for fire building.
The Walker and Pratt stove was installed in the kitchen at the Phillips House at 34 Chestnut Street in Salem, Massachusetts around 1880. The stove was used until Stephen Willard Phillips' death in 1955. The unit is encased in a brick wall and features a warming oven, two roasting ovens, and six burners. Other objects in the Phillips kitchen were made for use on the coal stove, such as cast iron pots that fit into the burner when their covers were removed.
Walker & Pratt Manufacturing Co. (Maker)
"WALKER & PRATT MANUFACTURING CO. BOSTON." / "60 WALKER 60" (Molded)
- Object type
- Food Processing T&E
- Descriptive terms
stoves (heating equipment)
- 70.75 x 50 4/16 x 26 (HxWxD) (inches)
- Accession Number
- Credit Line
- Gift of the Stephen Phillips Memorial Charitable Trust for Historic Preservation